My friend, also Amanda, shared her buttermilk pancake recipe with me. And it’s made from scratch!
I can’t stand premix pancake mixes, unless it is from Smitty’s. But they can get expensive, too, and don’t really make that much. I’m cheap. Scratch is better, and I know exactly what is going into it.
I usually have to double this recipe cause they go like hotcakes! Pun intended, sorry!
Amanda’s Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar together.
- Add the oil, beaten egg and buttermilk.
- Mix well, but don’t over do it. Some lumps are okay as they should settle and break open. Over mixing may cause it to not be so fluffy.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat pan (I like my square one so I can cook four at a time) on medium-high heat and use cooking spray on the surface.
- When hot enough, ladle about 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of batter into pan.
- When you see bubbles start to bust through the surface, they are ready to flip.
- Check them every minute or so to check for desired browning.
- Enjoy with your favourite topping!