This chocolate cake is so rich and full of flavour, and it’s all from scratch. This may take a couple of more minutes that dumping the mix from the box in, but it is well worth it, trust me. Actually, the recipe on my hand written sheet is called Six Minute Chocolate Cake.
I got this from a friend many years ago (thanks, Cher) and have made it over and over, and it never gets old. My kids even request it for their birthday cakes. It can be topped with icing, fruit, or our favourite is with whipped cream and caramel sauce (I will include this in the recipe, but you can do whatever you like after it has cooled).
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In approx 9″ x 9″ pan (I use a square 8″ x 8″ glass pan) sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into pan. Stir well with a fork until combined throughout.
- In a measuring cup (2 cup or larger) mix together the oil, water (or coffee) and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into the baking pan and mix with a fork.
- When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly until vinegar is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cake. Add desired toppings….I will now add my toppings, follow along if you like.
- Using a knife, poke through to the bottom of the pan and twist at least once per piece that you would be serving.
- Squeeze caramel sauce (we use the stuff that does not harden on ice cream) into each of the holes that you just poked, just enough so that it gets in the hole and overflows a bit.
- Top with whipped topping (if the cake is not completely cooled by this point, the whipped topping will melt and this is not what we want….it’s just more appealing if it doesn’t look soupy).
- Squeeze caramel sauce in whatever pattern you desire over the top. You could even go a step further and add your favourite crushed chocolate bar, I think Skor bars would make this a Skor cake.
- Bon Appetite!