This is an easy rice pudding recipe that was passed down to me and it is super easy but it does take some time to prepare. Homemade rice pudding at its finest!
- 1/2 cup rice (I use short grain)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cups raisins (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine rice, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Slowly bring just to a boil, stirring often. Add raisins.
- Reduce heat to very low.
- Cover and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally for about 50 minutes or until rice is very tender and overall texture appears slightly thickened and creamy. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat to cool. Refrigerate if not being served immediately.
- Serve with cinnamon and/or cream.